Tuesday, August 5, 2008

our hearts are torn...


Max and I have been attending AviatorChurch.com events in the past several weeks. We have gotten to know and love the Pastor and his wife, Joe and Michelle. We love their passion, their love for people, their love for Jesus. They are starting a church here in Derby. Brand new...services don't actually start until September. Very exciting! We have some reservations though...

We visited a church last Sunday here in Wichita with the Boyds that was all about entertaining. Our hearts are torn. We see similarities in the way things are being done at this church we visited and the way things look to be happening at AviatorChurch. I have only heard Joe speak from the word. I have only heard him proclaim His name. I have only heard Jesus story and yet the red flags fly. The church we went to played clips of Taladaga Nights during the service. I have never seen the movie nor do I want to and Max felt convicted to turn it off when he started watching it. AAAhhhhh. Why would they pick this movie of all movies? Why would a church do that? When I walk into a church, I want to feel safe. I want my future children to be able to walk in and be protected. I want that. Church is supposed to be a safe place that leaves yucky culture junk out not bring it in and make it cool. Both of us were in knots when we left. My heart hurt.

It is our goal this week to pray hard core about our involvement in this new church. We don't want to write anything off because of the church we visited. Av
iator will be different. We don't want to make a quick decision and say, "nope, see you later...we're out." We want to be where God intends us to be...the question is, where? Is it here in our community? Is it at River Community Church? Is it at a church we have yet to visit? Where is it?

Why is finding a church so difficult?

Although we are not certain Aviator is where God is calling us to be right now, we had a blast taking Joe and Michelle up in a airplane last Friday night. I hope whatever our decision, we get to know and hang with the Boyds many more times.

No comments: