Sunday, February 21, 2010

a great surprise...

last week my husband surprised me with a night out. we were sitting at home Friday evening watching the Olympics and he starts getting all of his flying maps out. this is NOT an unusual thing at our house but it was late and I was almost ready for bed so I started asking questions. "what are you doing?" "why are you getting all of those out now?" "blah blah blah???" :) he ever so nonchalantly said, "oh we are going flying tomorrow night." I said, "you and your student?" (it was the first I had heard about and usually he is pretty good at telling me when he is going to be gone) he said, "no, you and I." I start arguing with him...no we are not. Graham can't go with us (only a two seater). we are not. he said, "yes, we are. I called your mom. she is going to watch Graham. we are going on a date!" BIG smiles...

"really?"

he had planned the whole thing, couldn't figure out a way to get to mom's and drop the little guy off without me freaking a little so he told me the night before. (we are terrible at keeping secrets with one another! terrible. although, he is much better than I...) it was the first time I was going to leave my little boy other than with him.

big moment.



yes there were tears. yes there was excitement. yes he was fine. :)

it was a wonderful surprise and a much needed night away. at least 10 and a half weeks of not being alone. he had plans of flying up to KC to a BBQ restaurant but because of the weather flew to Benton to the new cafe there. it was so good to be in the air with him again. so good. I hadn't been at least since he was laid off at Cessna. I love seeing him do what he loves...and he had planned it for Valentine's day. a day he never remembers exactly what day it comes on. a day I have not been especially fond of in the past. a day I don't expect much because I am so vocally about it being a silly. a day that so many women/girls feel like blah. a day that he made special. I am starting to understand...


3 comments:

Michele said...

how cool your Max can just jet-set you guys like that! :) Fun!
I remember leaving Lo for the first time...it was torture, but so nice at the same time. Glad you got a little date and so sweet of Max to plan it all out!

Jen Logan said...

aww so sweet! Glad you guys got to enjoy an evening to yourselves :)

Leigh Ann said...

This post made my eyes swell up. I think that his planning this says so much about how he feels about you and how special you are to him! SOOOOOO cool.