Thursday, February 9, 2012

just have to laugh...

so my sweet husband saw that Mamma Mia was coming to Wichita this past week and said, "I would like to take you."  HUGE SMILE.  really?  you see, my dad took my sister and I to see the production when we were in New York City in 2005 for Karen's college graduation trip.  Max and I had just started dating.  I remember talking to him on the phone about it...

and then the movie came out and again, that sweet man, took me on a date to see the movie.  I am pretty sure he laughed all.the.way.through.it.  but did it for me.  of course, we have seen the movie a couple more times since then.  and I think he secretly LOVES it.  (I mean, have you heard the music?  it's awesome and fun and it just makes your head move)  I was really excited that he knew I would want to see it and was proactive to make it happen.  we asked Karen and Frank to come along.

that was two nights ago.  but let me just tell you how our evening went before we actually got to leave the house.  I had jumped in the shower around 4pm and soon got a phone call from Karen asking what we should do about the weather.  I had no idea what was going on outside said, "what are you talking about?"  apparently it was suppose to ice and blizzard.  I call Max and he said, "we have 4 wheel drive.  we are going."  haha.  okay.  perfect.  I continue to get ready and start making the lasagna I was making for the in-laws, who were so kindly coming to watch our kids...even if it blizzarded.  Max gets home from work, the lasagna has about 5 min before it is ready to come out of the oven.  Graham is walking around saying, "eat, eat, eat, Eat, EAt, EAT!"  I am trying to do a few more things to myself before I am ready to walk out the door.  the timer goes off, I am getting dressed.  I run and get the food out of the oven. tried to turn off the burner where the peas were cooking and put the lasagna on the stove.  in my rush, instead of turning off the burner, I must have turned it to HIGH.  I run back to continue getting dressed and ask Max to get the kids food ready.  he goes to the kitchen, hears sizzling and then...

POP.  sounds like a grenade went off in my kitchen and the entire Pyrex glass shattered into a bazillion pieces.  it is everywhere I look.  there is my lasagna I had worked so hard on sitting on the stove with no dish around its sides.  I had cooked bread and there were little shards on the bread.  even glass in the peas.

TEARS.

Max said, "take the kids.  it's okay.  I will take care of it."   aaaaahhhhhhhh.

so he gets it sorta cleaned.  we were approaching the time when his parents were supposed to be there.  he checked his phone.  a call from an unknown number.  oh no.  message from his mom said, "car won't start, we will be there just as soon as we can."  at this point, we just start laughing.

dinner exploded.  kids are whining and at our feet because they are hungry.  we are still a little shell shocked and trying to figure out what to do about dinner.  Karen and Frank show up ready to go.  just laugh.  just laugh.  just laugh.  I grabbed leftovers from the fridge.  get the kids eating.  just laugh.  just laugh.  just laugh.

Max makes a quick decision and said, "you go.  I will come when they show up."  I left with Karen and Frank.  we actually made it on time to see the beginning.  Max got there about 25 minutes into the production and we had a great time.

I love looking over at my husband and see him flash that smile of his.  I love that everything is just a little better when we experience it together.  I love that even if date nights aren't perfect, they are still moments away that we can look back on and remember and laugh...

picture from when Karen and I saw Mamma Mia in 2005...


and in 2012...


maybe lookin just a little more momish....haha.  me, not you sis.  :)


thank you Max Unruh.  I love you...
  
AND there was no blizzard.  :)

3 comments:

Jenn said...

April, I love this post! So glad that you laughed through it all:)

kelli said...

oh my goodness! total craziness! thankful that the Lord knew that sweet guy of yours is just what you need!

kelli said...

oh my goodness! total craziness! thankful that the Lord knew that sweet guy of yours is just what you need!