Tuesday, July 19, 2011

to the farm...

"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." ---Deuteronomy 31:8


the kids and I trekked out to the farm last week on Thursday. Max's mom called the night before and asked if we would come out to the brunch she was hosting with all of Del's side of the family. they had all just returned home from family camp which we were not able to attend and because they all live in far away places, she wanted them to be able to meet Tessa and see Graham and I.

not gonna lie, I was reluctant. I mean a Thursday morning...I had to cancel plans...which really was nothing...walking with a friend...at least an hour drive...with two kids...by myself...while my husband was working...to see people I call family but do not really know...and sometimes have a hard time remembering names...the kids schedule would be off...and Alli wasn't going...and Kelli is in KC...and Julie is in Arizona...and did I mention Max was working...and Verna would be busy in the kitchen...Del talking to his brothers...and all of my safety nets were not there...and really...you want me to do what? I get so nervous which I realize is silly but I can't make it stop. these people are family for goodness sake! but again, not gonna lie, the nerves were there. they come when I am in the midst of a large amount of people.

we make it out of the house only 10 minutes behind schedule and the drive was fine. Graham got a little fussy about the time we hit the dirt roads but we talked about the corn and how it needed water to grow and how we should pray for rain for the crops. and we made it!

walk into the house and Del scoops up Graham and lets me get settled with Tessa. we say Hi to everyone and eat and then get to hear the testimony of Darin and Jill. you see Darin is a firefighter in the Houston area and in 2008 was badly hurt in a fire. you can watch a video here and learn about all he has gone through. or here. or read about it here.

I remember praying for him. and getting updates. and praying. and getting updates. at that time, I had not had the opportunity to meet either of them. and having the opportunity to meet them and sit and listen to their story hit my heart hard. they have been through so much. I get so bent out of shape when things don't go my way and they have gone through battle to keep Darin alive and recovering.

so I sat and listened and cried (and chased babies). hearing what he remembered. what Jill went through. the road to recovery. their faith in Jesus. what his parents remembered. the shifts and shifts of sitting beside Darin. praying. reading scripture together. singing by his bedside...Jill shared that singing was a huge comfort to her and specifically Thy Word Is A Lamp Unto My Feet.

and we sung. right then and there. a time of worship as a family. I hid my face in the room because I was so choked up, I couldn't get the words out the tears were falling so quickly. and continued to worship with Great is Thy Faithfulness. what a beautiful moment. what a beautiful story of faithfulness. what a beautiful thing for my heart to hear.

my reluctance became joy. yes, I was there without my husband. yes, I was there without my safety nets. yes, I was there and my children's schedule was messed up. but I was there. with family. and God worked on my heart that morning. so thankful for Darin and Jill to be there and willing to share everything that they have gone through.

at one point, Darin told us that he remembered opening his eyes to his dad in his face. he said, "Darin! I have a verse for you...The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." from Deuteronomy 31:8. Darin clug to that verse as he recovered and continues to recover.

it is so true. God does go before me. He goes before us. He is with me and you. He will never leave our side. We don't have to be afraid. or discouraged. He is good. no matter what trial I am facing or you are facing. cling to the hope.

thank you Darin and Jill for sharing your story.

3 comments:

Sunni said...

Thanks for sharing, April. Very powerful. Very moving.

Jenn said...

I got goose bumps reading that! What a great reminder that even in the midst of our discomfort and reluctance God is working for a purpose.

kelli said...

wowie. pretty amazing stuff, april. so glad God used you to be a part of it all. xo.